Monday, December 7, 2009

Fast Sundays!

One of the things I really enjoy about monthly Fast Sundays in our church is testimony meeting during Sacrament meeting.

The opportunity for random members to stand at the pulpit and share their testimony of the gospel can be a little nerve racking for a Bishop since you are never quite sure what any given person might say! And most of us do have a story or two about something outlandish spoken during a testimony meeting we've attended.

But, for the most part, testimony meetings are usually amazing! Especially when I am fasting and I come to the meeting with a desire to be spiritually fed! If I'm in the right frame of mind, I always learn from the experiences shared by others.

There is a spiritual nourishment for me when I have friends in my ward family express love and proclaim truth. There is a special power in having the meeting be completely open to anyone who feels prompted to speak. It feels genuine and sincere to have no prepared sermon by clergy but just common folk (people who have the same struggles and challenges in life as the rest of us) sharing their feelings about the Savior and how the gospel has been a blessing in their lives.

Yesterday we had an unusually good testimony meeting in the Los Gatos Ward. I was touched by the members who shared and felt like my soul was fed in abundance! Sometimes I leave church almost feeling guilty like I have received far more than I've given!

Matthew 5: 6 "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled."