Monday, December 21, 2009

Jolly Old Saint Nicholas!

I knew it! I've suspected it for years and have finally confirmed my gut feeling! Since moving to Los Gatos I noticed a man in our ward who looks so much like Santa Claus I thought they could be brothers! Well, lo and behold, it turns out... they are!

If I didn't know that Santa lives in the North Pole I would have thought this man was Mr. Claus himself!

So, Santa's bro is this great guy named Jack Hedricks. The reason I was convinced he had to be related? Well, besides the strong "lookalike" factor, Jack shares many Santa-like traits. For example, His eyes twinkle, His dimples are merry! He shakes when he laughs, and he has a friendly wink that completely disarms you. The similarities are uncanny!

But, the final straw came a few days ago on a visit to the Hedricks home! Sheila Lugaresi and I have been visit teaching Jack's wife, Barbara, for a couple of months. Barbara is always kind and gracious to us and she also resembles a cute little Mrs. Claus!

So, on our December visit it quickly became clear that Jack & Santa are siblings for sure!
Here is the reasoning (information I learned while visiting) to back up my theory:
1. Jack LOVES Christmas; he loves absolutely everything about Christmas!
2. Jack does all their decorating, inside and out! Seriously, Brent always puts up the outdoor lights but the indoor holiday "stuff" is pretty much my job! Barbara said Jack is like a little kid during at Christmas time spending weeks tinkering with tiny trees, constructing sleigh villages, making snow globes, etc.!
3. The Hedricks have a real (taxidermy style )stuffed reindeer (Rudolph no less) hanging on their wall!
4. Jack wrote a poem/story called "Down with a Thistle" that is all about Santa!
5. The Hedricks lived in Alaska before they moved to Los Gatos! You know, you can pretty much see the North Pole (and Russia too) from Alaska! Just ask Sarah Palin.
6. The Hedricks are really into Genealogy! And if Santa was my brother, I'd want to learn more about my roots too!

So, who do you think is in the photo? Is it Santa? Is it Jack dressed up like Santa? Or is it an Imposter? Ho, Ho, Ho!

"Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy." -Francis P.Church