Sunday, December 13, 2009

Gramps the Birthday Boy!

"The first and best victory is to conquer self." -Plato

Yesterday was my Dad's 81st birthday! And since my Dad is fastidious about his health I'll probably be writing posts about him for many years to come.... so I'll just focus on one attribute I admire for this birthday!

My Dad is incredibly disciplined! Almost to a fault! But, I really do like how consistent he is and always has been! He is a bit of a neat freak but it's all part of that same disciplined approach to every aspect of his life.

Many years ago a doctor touted mixing Metamucil fiber into a glass of water for good health. That drink concoction became his nightly ritual! Even on vacations he packs a ziplog bag with Metamucil to whip up that elixir anywhere!

I once met a man who had been a fraternity brother with my Dad in college. He remembered (fondly) my Dad picking the lint off the sweaters of the other Sigma Chi's in chapter meetings. That image had stuck with him all those years, he'd never met anyone quite that meticulous!

I can relate to how it left an impression on him. In my childhood, two places showcased my Dad's discipline and I admired both. His closet and his office. I loved looking at his neat closet; he was a master at closet organization before it became big business. Suits, shirts, pants and ties were nicely arranged by colors and type. I thought it was beautiful sight!

His office was similarly immaculate! Open any desk drawer and supplies were always exactly where they'd appeared on my last visit; pens lined in a row, a book of stamps, a small container of vitamin C. Another sight to behold! Especially for a little kid who kind of took after her Dad in his appreciation for orderliness!

My Mom would show off my Dad's clockwork behavior! She used to tell us that he was never without a handkerchief. So, we'd request tissues at random moments to test her theory and sure enough, he could always pull one out of his back pocket. I was wondering the other day if he still carries them 24/7. If I had to bet on it, my money is safest guessing that he does! Because that is the thing about disciplined people, you can pretty much always count on them!

To my Dad: the Disciplined Birthday Boy! I've always been able to count on him!

"We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle