Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Nutcracker!

I love The Nutcracker ballet! I've probably seen it nearly every holiday season! My parents started the tradition when I was just a toddler and happily, Brent likes it so we've taken our kids almost annually!

We've seen The Nutcracker in Washington, D.C., Boston, New York, San Diego, Los Angeles, Seattle, San Francisco, and Salt Lake City.

The Seattle production was one of my favorites because the sets and costumes were designed by Maurice Sendak! And I always love the Ballet West version (the Salt Lake City ballet) since it's the one I grew up with.

Last night we went to see Sophie Ryvola in a San Jose Dance Theatre production. Sophie was a great little soldier but I think she could be cast as Clara one day. Sophie's definitely got the moxie for a lead role!

When I was young I wanted to audition to be one of the boy party guests. The boys were usually girls with pixie haircuts since ballet classes seem to have a shortage of male testosterone. The boys main part was planning a sneak attack, blasting their trumpets on the frilly girls in tight ringlets rocking their baby dolls. The boys part looked like a lot more fun!

Other hightlights in the Nutcracker for me are the awesome Russian dancers and Mother Buffoon and the children popping out from under her skirt! If I were musical I could probably conduct the orchestra; I love Tchaikovsky and I feel like I know the whole score from memory! It turns out that Andie has even created lyrics to go with all the music (who knew?)

Year after year, I never get tired of The Nutcracker!