Saturday, December 12, 2009

Hanukkah: Festival of Lights!

One of the best things about Webb attending Beth El, a Jewish preschool, years ago was the opportunity for us to understand more about Judaism. I've got to find the video of the holiday performance showing Webb belting out songs about spinning dreidels, cooking Latkes, and hoping for Hanukkah gelt (coins/money)! It was quite adorable!

The 1st night of Hanukkah starts tonight! When I was teaching the Old Testament I bought a Menorah and Liz Walton & I celebrated several of the Jewish holidays throughout the year with the Seminary kids! Very fun!

The Hanukkah story reminds me of David and Goliath. Like David, the Maccabees were a small group of soldiers fighting for religious freedom against Antiochus's behemoth army of Syrians. The Maccabee's victory was a miracle!

Then, when they returned to Jerusalem to celebrate the temple was filthy and only a tiny drop of oil was left for the menorah. But the small drop continued to burn not just for one day, but eight days, giving the Maccabees a chance to restore/rededicate the temple! Another miracle!

Each night of Hanukkah when the candle is lit, two blessings are recited. The first is a blessing over the candles and the second gives thanks for miracles. The blessing in Hebrew: "Baruh atah adonai, eloheinu meleh ha-olam, she-asah nissim lavotanu ba-yamim hahem bazman hazeh." Or in English: "You abound in blessings, Source of All, Our God, Ruler of the Universe, who performed miracles for our ancestors in those days, at this time."

Even though we don't officially celebrate Hanukkah (unless I can sneak it in - like teaching Old Testament); I like the symbolism behind the festival. The miracle of people triumphing over tremendous odds in a struggle for the right to practice their religious beliefs is inspiring! I admire the Maccabees dedication to their beliefs; their spirit to fight for what they believed in, no matter how difficult or dangerous!

Okay, and I have to admit, I also like all the interesting and unique menorahs! They have some incredible menorahs!

"I have a little dreidel. I made it out of clay.
And when it's dry and ready, with dreidel I shall play." -The Dreidel song