Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Finding our Heart on Mount Crumpit!

"How the Grinch Stole Christmas" should be mandatory reading for Anthropology 101! What a classic commentary of man's emotions! First, when the Grinch hates Christmas (since his heart was 2 sizes too small) his desire is simply to sabotage the happiness for others!

After collecting the presents, tinsel, trees, ribbons and bows, the Grinch loads it all 3000 feet up to the top of Mount Crumpit (...to dump it!). But, when he stops to listen to the Who's wails when they learn that Christmas is not coming that year he hears singing! The Grinch realizes that he hasn't stopped Christmas from coming at all! Ha! - ...can't get revenge after all!

"And what happened then...?
Well...in Who-ville they say
That the Grinch's small heart
Grew three sizes that day!"

So, atop Mount Crumpit it appears that the Grinch's heart went from 2 sizes too small to growing 3 sizes (which leaves him with a swelling heart - 1 size larger than normal/average!) I love the times/moments in my life when my heart feels enlarged (emotionally not literally)!

I have a tendency to get caught up in the hustle, rush, and crazy parts of the holiday season and often need to stop myself, ...pause... and listen for the sounds of the Who's!

After a wild week of the typical commercial aspects of Christmas: shopping malls with crowded parking lots, cookie exchanges, etc., I think my Mount Crumpit moment finally came on Sunday! The Christmas program at church reopened my heart to the good, the wonder, and the delight of the season! Back to the simplicity of honoring the birth of the baby Jesus!

"Every Who Down in Who-ville liked Christmas a lot...
But the Grinch, who lived just North of Who-ville
Did NOT!"

So, if I catch myself ever not liking Christmas (getting a little "Grinch," "Scrooge," or "Bah, Humbug," about the holidays), I just need to seek out the places that speak to the heart!