Saturday, December 19, 2009

Five Golden Rings!

It's probably just me but I have been singing The 12 Days of Christmas for a hundred years (okay, half that) but I can still mess up the song after the "five golden rings." On the countdown, I'm good to go after five: "fo-ur calling birds, three french hens, two turtle doves, and.....a partridge in a pear tree!" No problems there!

But, for the 6th to 12th days, it's like my peabrain needs a little refresher course after 11 months without Christmas Carols! Let see, were there 12 lords-a-leaping, or was 12 the milk maidens? Wait, how many geese were laying?

So, sometimes I get the wrong day (9?, 11? 7?) with the wrong noun (swans?, drummers?, ladies?) with the wrong verb (dancing?, piping?, swimming?)!

Then, just when I've remastered the song, some enthusiastic caroler throws a curve ball.....aka "actions." Hand motions that look cute and clever! But, for me (the non-multi-tasker), singing with hand motions is like trying to rub my tummy and pat my head at the same time!

Well, enough about me. Here's a quick checklist of the hidden meaning/symbolism behind the song. At least the version I've heard is that when the Roman Catholics in England weren't able to openly practice religion (in the 16th & 17th centuries) someone wrote the 12 Days carol to teach their children their faith in a disguised manner.
1 Partridge in a Pear Tree = Jesus Christ
2 Turtle Doves = Old & New Testaments
3 French Hens = Faith, Hope & Love
4 Calling Birds = 4 Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke & John)
5 Golden Rings = Torah, the Law - First 5 books of the Old Testament
6 Geese-a-Laying= the 6 Days of Creation
7 Swans-a-Swimming = 7 Gifts of the Spirit.
8 Maid-a-Milking = the 8 Beatitudes
9 Ladies Dancing = 9 Fruits of the Spirit.
10 Lords-a-Leaping = 10 Commandments
11 Pipers Piping = 11 Faithful Disciples
12 Drummer's Drumming = 12 Points in the Apostles' Creed