Friday, March 19, 2010

"I Meant What I Said, and I Said What I Meant!"

"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful one-hundred percent!" -Horton, from Dr. Seuss, Horton Hatches the Egg

Thinking about Spencer Bryan's proud commitment to his swim team took me back further than just Andie's swim team years. My Mom made me memorize Horton's famous "commitment" phrase - probably before I could even read!

Horton was a huge childhood hero to me! When Lazy Mayzie cons Horton into tending her egg, he is stays on that nest through rain, thunder, summer, winter, and endless taunting! Horton diligently maintains that post!

It's a classic tale of perseverence! Horton puts up with ridicule, loneliness and all kinds of miserable conditions! Fortunately, for Horton, it ends well!

But, in real life, sometimes we don't readily see the Hortons getting the rewards. Sometimes it feels like the lazy Mayzie birds have all the fun! But appearances can be deceiving! Because Horton can always be proud of who he is and in the long run, self respect goes a long way! It's an intrinsic reward that can't be measured!

Making commitments to good things is good! Sticking it out when the going gets tough is admirable! Besides a faithful elephant I've seen countless real life examples of people who stay committed to high standards! They are the enduring heroes we can always count on; the steadfast!

In a fickle world where people abandon values on a whim, I applaud the faithful Hortons!