Tuesday, March 9, 2010

"We're All Mad Here!"

I've been an undying fan of timeless children's books since the "Children's Classics" course I took in college! So, even though I haven't seen the movie Avatar we did get to the Opening Night for Alice in Wonderland!

I was excited to see Tim Burton-do-Lewis-Carroll! Two whimsical, inventive guys! And, the movie was great. Johnny Depp was a perfect Mad Hatter and Mia Wasikowska as Alice was excellent.

So, in tribute to Carroll's classic work, I'm listing some of my favorite "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" Book Quotes (several were also in the movie) starting with the wonderful line when the Cheshire Cat tells Alice: "We're All Mad Here!"

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - the Queen to Alice

"What is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?"

"Speak English!" said the Eaglet. "I don't know the meaning of half those long words, and I don't believe you do either!"

"Off with her head!" said the Queen.

"Perhaps it hasn't one," Alice ventured to remark. "Tut, tut, child!" said the Duchess. "Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it."

"Begin at the beginning," the King said very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop."

Alice: "I know who I was when I got up this morning, but I think I have changed several times since then."