Saturday, June 25, 2011

Grow Old With Me....

"Grow old with me, the best is yet to be." -Robert Browning

You've got to love a guy who can fall fast asleep during a lively Hawaiian Luau! That takes special talent!

During earlier years of marriage I’d get embarrassed when Brent's sleep anywhere/anytime skills were displayed at church, movies, etc. But lately it's become sort of endearing and definitely bothers me less (note my expression in photo is more amused that annoyed - which is major progress for me!). It turns out this narcolepsy-like ability can work in his favor sometimes (like when he takes red-eye flights or needs a quick nap).

Plus, heaven knows I've got plenty of annoying traits that Brent has to put up with. But no need to disclose those here.

Maybe one of the best parts of being an old married couple ("old" referring to our ages as well as the length of our marriage) is the comfort I find in predictability.

I can usually surmise Brent's reactions before he acts and I'm fairly accurate. I know what pushes his buttons. I know what makes him laugh. I know what inspires him.

So, here we are at 30 years of marriage, and still committed to the idea that it’s the best institution for teamwork and self improvement and, of course, the best way to raise a family. And while we can drive each other crazy at times we certainly drive and motivate each other to be our best selves too.

Happy 30th Anniversary to Brent! Love you lots!

"A sucessful marriage requires falling in love many times - always with the same person." -Mignon McLaughlin