Thursday, June 2, 2011

I Looked Out the Window & What Did I See?

On the very day our nation commemorates running (see yesterday’s post), our morning run was foiled by rain. Now rain doesn’t stop true runners, mind you, but it’s a little problematic for the passengers in baby joggers.

So, I watched those passengers while the young moms ran sans baby joggers. It’s not that I’m so noble but I do have the luxury of flexible running times at my stage of life while the young moms have baggage (aka children) 24/7.

So, to entertain the kiddos I found a total saving grace. Primary songs! I have them all on itunes and we had a raucous music time going on in the basement.

Man, little kids know their Primary songs! It’s amazing! I was the official DJ taking requests and our repertoire included the Hello Song, Do As I’m Doing, Heads, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes, I Have Two Little Hands, and, the ever favorite, Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree. Most of the munchkins are still in the Nursery at church but someone is doing a great job with singing time. Even the kids who didn’t know the words could shake their hands to display the popcorn popping hand motions.

Maybe I’ve been in Seminary too long, where I get are-you-kidding-me groans when I attempt to liven up the morning with something/anything that requires spirited enthusiasm. But, with the toddler crew their excitement is unabated. They were happy to comply with props, finger plays, dancing, etc.

Perhaps we should shift our early morning Seminary students to a younger age group, start them at age two and graduate after Kindergarten. This subset of children are the ones rising early anyway, right? But, in all honesty, those teenagers might be easier on my energy. If I taught a class of rambunctious young kids, I’d come home needing a nap by 7:30 in the morning!

"I looked out the window and what did I see? Popcorn popping on the apricot tree.
Spring has brought me such a nice surprise! Popcorn popping right before my eyes.

I can take a handful and make a treat. A popcorn ball that would smell so sweet.
It wasn’t really so, but it seemed to be, Popcorn popping on the apricot tree.” - Georgia W. Bello, Primary Children’s Songbook