Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Make New Friends, But Keep the Old...

“Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver, and the other gold.”

We had a hectic weekend but not without it’s tender moments. We were juggling some of our dear older friends visiting from La Jolla combined with some parties, runs, etc. with newer friends.

In these instances, “older” refers to friends we’ve known for over twenty years in addition to the fact that they are older (as in, Susan just celebrated her 60th birthday, but looks amazing) and “newer” isn’t just recently met, but younger as well.

The juxtaposition all weekend was interesting. One minute I’m discussing potty training and internships and the next minute it’s aging and retirement. Although lots of topics are still universal (marriage and kids no matter which anniversary you’re celebrating or whether your “child” is three or thirty).

Irrespective of age, I really am grateful for friendships with others of all ages and stages of life. I learn a lot about myself through connecting with friends. I prefer listening to talking (although I still talk plenty and probably too much) and receiving advice more than giving it (however I’m sure I dish out plenty of not-so-helpful unsolicited advice anyway).

But when it comes to friendship, I feel lucky. Blessed. Fortunate. I’ve had so many friends who I look up to (and not just because they are taller or older, but it turns out that most are wiser). And last weekend was a poignant reminder of how nice it is to share sweet memories with old friends and create fun memories with new friends.

“I no doubt deserved my enemies, but I don’t believe I deserved my friends.” -Walt Whitman