Monday, July 27, 2009

Here is the Church, Here is the Steeple...

The nursery rhyme at left is a great jingle with very cool hand motions. I learned it in Primary many years ago and I've taught it to many nursery age children since!

"See all the people." Good admonition! While we aren't supposed to judge a book by it's cover or a church by the people - you can't help but look to the example of members of any congregation to get a "feel" for the "type" of people that are drawn into those church doors! But in fairness churches aren't meant to house only the pious or perfect! Those who are living every commandment don't need the gospel messages nearly as much as those who consistently fall short like myself!

I'm so glad to be a member of the Los Gatos Ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints! Our membership worldwide is eclectic and our ward numbers also reflect a wide demographic. When President Hinckley spoke of sharing our message with others he encouraged people of all faiths to "bring with you all that you have of good and truth, and come and let us see if we may add to it."

In one of the recent General Conference sessions there was a great talk that basically said "Mormons don't have a corner on the market for Christlike behavior" - (I'm still trying to locate the exact quote). But it is a true statement. There are certainly many great people in many religions doing many great things in the world. But for me personally I've been fortunate to have the church in my life because it does give me huge opportunities both to serve and to grow spiritually. It also gives me a moral compass and standards to strive for. And, best of all lots of PEOPLE that I want to emulate because their examples have been a shining LIGHT for me!