Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Euro = Monopoly Money!

"When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money. -Susan Heller

Clothes: I like to come home having worn every article of clothing! No wasted space! I usually have our Fall Girls Trip down to an art but I ran into a glitch (although it's a good glitch) this year. It is much warmer than I expected so I'm not wearing the warm sweaters and I'm having to wear my polo's twice. Bottom line: I packed too many cold weather clothes.

Currency: I have the hardest time treating foreign money like real cash! The minute I exchange Dollars to Euros I lose all concept of value! It looks like Monopoly Money for Adults! Logically I know that 1 dollar is worth 0.679 Euros (todays exchange rate). Or the easier way to wrap my brain around this is to figure that 1 Euro is almost $1.50. More accurately, 7 Euros = around $10 (at least I think that's correct). But I can get pretty discombobulated by the continual conversion. But I'm pretty frugal at core (even when I play Monopoly) so I don't usually lose all control (and thus all my money). I dole it out sparingly and it looks like so far I calculated how much I'd need just about right! But even after a few days, the Euros still look fake to me!