Thursday, October 29, 2009

My Life of Crime! (well, last week anyway)

They say delinquency starts with small things and escalates! I'm afraid I had my own slippery slope of questionable behavior last weekend!

The 1st incident!: We purchased dinner at the Oakridge mall food court with the intention of taking it into the movie theatre. But, heading into the show a large sign announced that no food could be brought inside. It had to be purchased at their concession stand!

At this point most people would probably toss out their meal or scarf it down quickly. But the principle made me mad! The theatre charges ridiculous prices and has a total monopoly. So, I disguised our dinner; cleverly concealed between 2 popcorn boxes and smuggled it into the movie!

Obviously, not getting caught in Incident 1 was the impetus for the 2nd Incident (see the downward spiral here). I snuck a big bag of kettle corn and bottled waters into the Stanford football game! Technically, I don't know whether they let food into the stadium or not. I saw them looking through everyones bags at the entry gates and I'm sure they don't allow beverages because people were leaving cans in heaps at the trash bins outside the stadium. But, I proceeded along, assuming I'd get caught/busted. Except as "friends and family" of a player (complimentary tickets), we entered at a different gate and and no one checked my bag!

I'm not planning to make a habit of breaking rules! But it was interesting that after I "got away with" sneaking dinner into the movie, it must have tarnished my inner compass because I hardly thought twice the next night about the illicit bag of popcorn & drinks! Which just goes to show me that I'd better refrain from future smuggling of any nature before my entire value system goes out the window! I've heard many a hardened criminal claim it all started with that ripped off pack of gum!