Sunday, October 25, 2009

"We've Got A Diem To Carpe!"

It turns out that movies can be a good source for excellent quotes!

We loved "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs!" At first it was a little unnerving to pay $27.50 for 2 tickets! ($10.75 each plus $3 extra for 3D!) That's probably the most I've EVER paid to see a movie - so it's a good thing I enjoyed the whole show!

The movie was filled with clever lines! On my next Motion Picture Field Trip (can't afford these too often) I might have to take a notepad and pen!

On of my favorites lines was Flint (the zany inventor) with his twist of Carpe Diem (Sieze the Day!) when he shouts to Steve: "We've Got a Diem to Carpe!" (A Day to Sieze!) Classic!

I loved Flint's mother's unwavering belief in him despite a few experimental flops along the way! I loved Flint's father trying to encourage his son using fishing metaphors that Flint simply couldn't relate to. I loved it when Sam Spark's (female weather intern) feet land right in Flint's eyes and he tries to man it up and claim: "It's okay. It's just pain."

The animation is incredible! As the town figures out that "Bigger is Better" is NOT always the case, the depiction of the gargantuan food falling from the sky is awesome! I know in Children's Lit, it isn't kosher for kids books to come across as didactic, so, movie gurus also might cringe if I point out that there were some great "messages" in the show! But, they weren't overly blatent or patronizing and they worked for me! Even if it isn't sacrosanct, I happen to like films that have a good message. Yes, I would say that "Up" and "Cloudy" are my 2 favorite flicks so far this year!