Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Had I Known....How To Save A Life! (the fray)

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does." -William James

Yesterday John Bryan was a Bone Marrow Donor for someone in Italy who needed a transplant. I only knew about John's generous gesture because they needed someone to watch Emily.

I was really touched and inspired by John's act of kindness for a complete stranger. He was on a registry and when he matched someone in need they contacted him. John has donated his time and marrow in a process that is much more complicated than giving blood.

There were preliminary hospital visits and daily shots to prepare his body. It's a painful procedure! But since there is great satisfaction in serving others, I would imagine that possibly saving the life of another person would feel quite amazing! It takes service to a new level!

I'm impressed with John's donation. It motivates me to try to be more generous of my time, talents, and resources! I've always had a hard time donating blood; sometimes my iron has been too low and one time I was trying hard not to faint but when I started sweating, they sent me home! I'm not sure if I'm a good candidate for bone marrow donation but I would like to try for success at the next Red Cross Blood Drive.

"How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed, in a naughty world."
-William Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice