Thursday, October 8, 2009

Prolific Art! .....In Matisse Country!

"What I dream of is an art of balance, of purity and serenity devoid of troubling or depressing subject matter." -Henri Matisse

I am getting a full dose of Matisse here in southern France. Since Henri Matisse is one of my favorite artists I'm happy to take in all the sights. We've seen a few places he lived in Nice as well as the Matisse Museum.

Picasso, Renoir, Chagall, Cezanne....so many of the Masters had roots and ties here in the French Riviera and Provence! When you travel around you can see why. It was a perfect place for these great artists; the colors and light are as luminous here as anywhere in the world!

Yesterday we enjoyed the markets in Nice, dined on a fancy lunch in St. Paul at La Columbe d'Or, and checked out one of the most dramatic hill villages, Gourdon, perched high upon a rocky cliff. We found a gelato stand with every flavor imaginable (more choices than Marianne's Ice Cream in Santa Cruz). They had tomato-basil gelato, lavender, avocado - getting the picture? I tried the Rhubarb gelato and it was yummy!

"I have always tried to hide my own efforts and wished my works to have the lightness and joyousness of a springtime which never lets anyone suspect the labours it cost." -Henri Matisse