Sunday, October 18, 2009

Run Like A Girl!

"Most people run a race to see who is fastest. I run a race to see who has the most guts." -Steve Prefontaine

This morning is the 2009 Nike Women's Marathon! We've got a team of Female Friends of all ages and stages of life banding together to Race the Beautiful San Francisco Course!

We've dubbed our group The "A" Team in honor of Aiden Bryan and Ashley Barth, our 2 Young Heroes who are Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Survivors! Last year when Tia and I raced, Ashley was still in treatment. Nike donates part of their proceeds to Leukemia research. A good race and a good cause; how can we resist?

Most of us are just tackling the Half Marathon distance but Andie and Paige will be running the Full 26.2 Miles! You Go Girls! Some advice for them from a running champ: "It hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse." -Ann Trason

I'm always a little skittish at the start of any race. The crowds and the hype can sort of work against me. Running is usually such a quiet and peaceful form of exercise and suddenly a race throws you into a realm of commotion and competition. By nature I've never been very competitive so the chaos doesn't pump me up; it just unnerves me!

But once I get past the initial "What was I thinking? mode and get into a groove and pace that suits me; I usually enjoy the energy and occasionally even emerge with "a runner's high!" I'm hoping that will be the case today. But mostly, I'm hoping that my daughters will both have a great race! They've trained well and they deserve their moment(s) of glory! Go Andie! Go Pooge!

"The gun goes off and everything changes...the world changes...and nothing else really matters." -Patti Sue Plummer