Saturday, October 17, 2009

"The Still Small Voice"

"And a great and strong wind rent the mountains,... but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake: And after the earthquake, a fire but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice." 1st Kings 19:11-12

Sophie Ryvola asked if I would speak about the Holy Ghost at her Baptism on Friday night. Even though I'm not fond of public speaking, I love an opportunity to reflect on the GIFT of the Holy Ghost.

My own experience has been similar to the experience of Elijah in the scripture above. I haven't been one to have spectacular or dramatic displays to confirm spiritual things to me. But I have had many Defining Moments throughout my life that assure me of the presence & promptings of the Holy Ghost!

When I was Primary age we got to actually sing in General Conference (I know, who would EVER BELIEVE that I sung in a Choir at General Conference?) I think the feeling I had during our performance is my 1st recollection of the Holy Ghost touching my heart. Since that time, over 40 plus years ago, I've felt the influence and inspiration of the Holy Ghost touch my heart many times. It's a GIFT I haven't always deserved but I've always been grateful for it nonetheless!