Sunday, October 11, 2009

There's No Place Like Home!

"There's No Place Like Home!"
-as Dorothy told Toto in The Wizard of Oz

It's ALWAYS feels good to make it back to the hearth and home! Especially after a trip abroad! The first thing I noticed going through the US Customs line was my familiar native tongue; everyone speaking English! While I picked up some French words traveling, I slaughter the beautiful French language when I try to speak it. I'm terrible with foreign language pronunciation!

The mail is piled high but it looks like more catalogs than bills. (whew!) Brent actually did some laundry so the mound isn't insurmountable! Andie kept the house clean and best of all, there was a sign up, reading: "Welcome Home FRANCEY Pants!" Clever!

Leaving on a Trip and Coming Home are the 2 hardest parts of travel for me! Once I'm out of town, I'm good to go. I thrive! But packing up to leave the comfort of my routines...not an easy task for me! And, now, on the return, I always feel a little overwhelmed to come home to so much "stuff." Somehow we get along fine living out of a small suitcase. Then we return to our massive life accumulations and I want to purge it down to a simpler life!

The Wizard of Oz brought notoriety to "no place like home" when Dorothy is happily back in Kansas. But the line was used earlier in a poem and it is probably felt quite universally by most of us.
"Mid pleasures and palaces though we may roam,
Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home." (from "Home Sweet Home" by John Howard Payne)

1 comment:

  1. Thx for the shoutout- always a really honor to get some recognition in the old blogoshere.... welcome home- glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete