Saturday, May 29, 2010

Built to Last?

So, the picture is a clever IKEA Ad for shelving. But the post is just a rant: my frustration over the "shelf life" of technology products!

There is a new warp speed in which our "gadgets" age! Apparently techie stuff is on the same trajectory as dogs. Remember how you multiply a dog's years by 7 to get his age relative to our aging process. So, if your laptop is only 3 years old the service center will treat you as if your laptop is a 21 year old dinosaur.

One Hewlett Packard slogan is "HP Invents." I just wish they would invent products with greater endurance! It seems like HP is more concerned with getting cool products out the door than worrying about how long they last!

After my experience attempting to fix our HP Photosmart 375 Printer last weekend, I have a new slogan or tagline for HP: "HP Upgrades!"

After laborious troubleshooting via the manual I tried calling HP. After my call for help turned out to be a thinly veiled pitch to upgrade the 4 year old printer, I tried their online chat with a live technician who more forcefully encouraged an upgrade. Bottom line, no one at HP wanted to help me fix my aging printer, they just wanted me to buy another one.

Any future technological purchases I make will be under the assumption that most of these products have the same longevity as a hamster. Which is approximately 2 years!