Saturday, May 8, 2010

If You're Happy & You Know It, Clap Your (Helping) HANDS!

"If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands!
If you're happy and you know it, then your face will surely show it.
If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands!"

Mormon Helping Hands! Today, Saturday, May 8th, there is a statewide service project with church member volunteers cleaning up parks all over California. Los Gatos Ward has been assigned to Vasona Park.

Bachman Park would have been my choice but no one asked me! Bachman is more like a big backyard while Vasona feels humongous! Although we do have over 80 people signed up to work from 8:30 to 12:30 so that makes it feel less daunting!

The Saturday morning runners involved in the service project (me, for one) will need to sprint (ha!) up the Lexington Dam and then make a beeline to Vasona to start helping. I'm hoping for childcare duty on the playground for the volunteers who have to bring their small children. But I guess I can weed, paint, pick up trash, etc. if I don't get the fun (childcare) job!

I like the Mormon Helping Hands logo. I also like the opportunity for us to get out in our communities and serve. I think we are much happier when we are serving! It must be why the consummate volunteers (full time missionaries) are the happiest people I know! (Hands Down! - pun intended!)

"The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit." -Nelson Henderson