Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Empty Room!

Spiritual discussions relating to death often involve "the empty tomb" but this post is about "the empty room."

There's an image I keep revisiting. It makes me sad but it's also thought provoking.

There was a viewing taking place the other night when we went to the funeral home to dress Sally. The chapel room held the open casket. In the entryway was a table with a collection of hats: a Stetson, a painter's cap, a beret, etc. An easel display held a large portrait of a cowboy, maybe in his 60's. Picture Santa Claus wearing boots, spurs, and rodeo attire!

The only thing missing was people. No one was viewing or visiting; just 2 employees of the funeral home standing in the entry. We dressed Sally and left the funeral home and the room was still empty. Dead quiet (couldn't resist throwing that in).

I felt sad for this deceased man and wondered why he was so alone in death. I thought of the Maya Angelou poem, Alone, with the refrain: "Alone, all alone. Nobody, but nobody, Can make it out here alone." How could it be that this cowboy seemed to be exiting this world alone?

The last viewing I went to in the same funeral home was for Lois Walton and the place was packed (and lively) . Grandchildren and Los Gatos Ward members spilled out of the chapel and filled every space in the entry. We lingered beyond the viewing hours sharing happy memories. Lois left a rich legacy of relationships and throngs of people who loved her.

I thought everyone had their community, whether it is their family, church members, friends from work or various interests. So, where was the community for this man? It made me sad to think this cowboy might have missed this precious part of life. Missed the joy of relationships. Or, that his community hadn't shown up to support him.

Of course, I jumped to all kinds of conclusions and don't know anything about his situation so I could be completely off base. In fact, I hope I am mistaken because I agree with Maya Angelou and would just edit a couple of her words: "Nobody, but nobody, should have to exit here alone."