Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Real Life.....Beginning Soon!

"For a long time it seemed to me that life was about to begin - real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid.

At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life. This perspective has helped me to see there is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way.

So treasure every moment you have and remember that time waits for no one. Happiness is a journey, not a destination." -Alfred D'Souza

I'm probably not the only person who thinks that I'll be (x) as soon as I complete/finish/do (y)! This line of reasoning can take various forms but any variation on the theme still leads to the same denial. We fool no one!

It reminds me of President Hodgman's talk at the last stake conference about Digital Video Recorders. The wonder of being able to pause, rewind, and fast forward! Wouldn't it be great if we could press the pause button on a sluggish stage of our own journey, let the live show (our life) get ahead of troubling times and then fast forward to the best parts of our own life story!

The tragedy of thinking this way is how we keep postponing our real life. Oh wait, we don't really postpone anything! In fact, when we think that we'll be happy as soon as (x,y,or z) happens we are more accurately just postponing our own happiness! Which seems pretty lame.

"That it will never come again,
Is what makes life so sweet." -Emily Dickinson