Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Spiritual Logic...

Chartless by Emily Dickinson

"I never saw a moor,
I never saw the sea;
Yet now I know how the heather looks,
And what a wave must be.

I never spoke with God,
Nor visited in Heaven;
Yet certain am I of the spot
As if the chart were given."

The next 3 posts will spotlight the Mother's Day selections memorized by the Knudsen kids this year! I'll go from youngest to oldest so today features the Emily Dickinson poem that Paige recited.

I love that we heard the poem together at stake conference by a cute new member who spoke. In addition to the poem the new convert had a lot of funny lines in her remarks about joining the church. I wish I had taken more notes, she was hilarious!

Chartless has always reminded me of another poem titled "Who has seen the wind?" that was written by Christina Rossetti. Both poets were born in 1830; Dickinson in Amherst, Massachusetts and Rossetti in London, England! 1830: a very good year!

Who has seen the wind?
Neither I not you;
But when the leaves hang trembling
The wind is passing through.

Who has seen the wind
Neither you nor I
But when the trees bow down their heads
The wind is passing by.