Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Giving! And the tree was happy!

"I have found that among its other benefits, giving liberates the soul of the giver." - Maya Angelou

Webb gets the award for memorizing an entire book! Now he has learned works from 2 of my favorite poets, Dr. Seuss (when Webb memorized "Oh, The Places You'll Go") and now Shel Silverstein.

Webb can recite The Giving Tree from cover to cover! We are all quite impressed! Plus, Webb figured out how to video conference call via our computers which kept everyone honest (we can see you! no glancing at your poem!).

The mass success of The Giving Tree (published in 1964) gave Silverstein his first real recognition. After the book became a bestseller people paid attention to Silverstein's poems. His poems are goofy and often irreverent (but in good fun), so children (and clever adults) love their silliness. I've probably quoted Shel Silverstein in Primary, Young Women, & Relief Society lessons which should attest to his broad appeal (or my unorthodox teaching)!

Unbeknownst to Webb, I gave my Mom a copy of The Giving Tree when I was in high school. I'm sure Grammy still has it somewhere (I can say that with certainty!). I remember inscribing a note to Grammy inside the book to thank her for always giving while I continually took! So the book definitely brings back memories (even if they are of me as a self centered teenager)! But, I do love the book and I love the message!

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give. -Winston Churchill