Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Secret Weapons...

"As mothers in Israel, we are the Lord's secret weapon. Our influence comes from a divine endowment that has been in place from the beginning. In the premortal world, when our Father described our role, I wonder if he didn't stand in wide-eyed wonder that He would bless us with a sacred trust so central to His plan and that He would endow us with gifts so vital to the loving and leading of His children. I wonder if we shouted for joy at least in part because of the ennobling stature He gave us in His kingdom. The world won't tell you that, but the Spirit will." -Sheri Dew, "Are We Not All Mothers?"

Yesterday I had the Seminary students make Candy Bar Cards to give their Moms on Mother's Day. While they worked on creative taglines to go with an assortment of mini candy bars (Milky Way, Babe Ruth, Snickers, Almond Joy, Mounds, Hershey Kisses & Hugs, Airheads, etc) I thought about the collective group of Moms of the Seminary youth.

These Moms are an eclectic bunch but every one of them inspires me. I look up to all of them for different reasons. I'm so glad that the church gives me this melting pot of women that radiate such an assortment of virtues (men & children do too - but this IS the week to celebrate mothers).

I think Sister Dew is right that Mothers can be a Secret Weapon for inspiring goodness in the world! I have felt the Spirit confirm that many times! I've had plenty of women whose influence on me has been profound!

I also realized yesterday that I am older than almost all of my student's mothers (except 2). Fortunately, the clever cards the kids came up with distracted me from dwelling on that somewhat depressing thought!