Saturday, May 1, 2010

Got Milk?

"Who was the first guy that looked at a cow and said, "I think that I'll drink whatever comes out of those things when I squeeze them?" -Calvin and Hobbes comic strip

My eyesight issues have forced me to take stock of my health generally. And while I am proud of eliminating caffeine from my diet, I'm still not a good poster child for the "Got Milk?" ads!

The pesky problem is that I hate milk! I think I always have! I do have a vague memory of chugging milk as a small child at my grandparents house and getting sick, so perhaps my disdain originated from that incident.

Either which way, I don't like to drink milk or dunk donuts in milk or even pour milk on cereal! And so far none of the milk substitutes like soy milk have appealed to me either.

Which presents a problem for getting the 1300 mg. of calcium recommended daily for women 50 and older. Which I could swallow in a pill IF I could swallow large pills without gagging. Or I could try a chewable form like Tums IF they didn't taste like chalk!

But it's not quite a lost cause! I love the tart frozen yogurt which I'm hoping will be a reasonable alternative to milk consumption. Now I just need to find out if there is any calcium in mochi! If there is, I've got it made! If not, I might have to add a little more yogurt to my mochi!