Saturday, May 15, 2010

Duly Noted...

It has been brought to my attention that one of my discriminating blog readers thinks my posts have too many exclamation points.

This reminds me of another criticism several years back when I was told I was too perky in the morning.

Too perky? Too many exclamation points? Really? These are bad things?

I always thought these were good things. Who knew others were annoyed by early morning good cheer (perkiness) and perturbed by the quantity of things I think deserve exclamation (perky punctuation)?

I guess exclamation points do lose all impact in overuse. Kind of like the boy who cried wolf. At some point, when there really is a wolf, nobody will notice because I've used so many exclamation points that they just disappear.

I guess it's like the maxim: "If everything is emphasized, nothing is." I've also heard that the exclamation point is just a crutch for the lazy writer. Sounds about right.

The exclamation point is relatively new punctuation, first appearing in the 1400's. Originally it was known as a "mark of admiration" and some scholars believe it comes from the Latin Io (meaning joy).

Please note that this entire post does not contain a single exclamation point. Furthermore, I'll try to dole them out sparingly in future posts. However, in regard to morning perkiness: toning that down a notch could have disastrous consequences. Because if there is anything worse than a perky mom it would be an miserable mom. Miserable, because I can't admire and feel joy in the new day. Trust me, perky trumps misery any morning.