Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A Little Learning is a Dangerous Thing!

"A little learning is a dangerous thing." -Alexander Pope

Remail is my combination of "real?" and "email." As in, "Is This a Real Email?" And, if you have to ask, the answer is likely ....probably not!

Yesterday my inbox had an email from Carole Beal with the subject line: "I need your help urgently." Coming from Carole this struck me as an odd request.

The email read: "Hello. i'm sorry for odd request because it might get to you too urgent but it's due to the situation of things right now.

I'm stuck in London, we came down for short vacation then i was robbed, worse of it that bags, cash and cards and cell were stolen at GUN POINT, it's such a crazy xperience for us, we need help flying back home, the authorities are not supportive and currently we have troubles paying off hotel bills and getting a cab to airport.

Please i need you to loan me money, will refund you as soon as i'm back home, i promise. -Carole

Obviously, Carole did not type the broken English plea for donations! In fact, I think if this scam artist would like to be taken seriously he needs to brush up on his grammar, spelling, punctuation, word usage, etc. Thus, the "little learning" post title!

Of all the computers (or accounts) to hack into, Carole's was not a wise choice! She is one of the least likely people to ever ask anyone for a favor (or money).

Besides, Carole has connections! Her son-in-law works for US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. If Carole truly had been held at gun point, Hillary could help her much faster than I could!

When I phoned Carole on her (allegedly stolen) cell phone we had a good laugh! But the perpetrator wiped out all her contacts so it isn't all fun and games! So, beware of similar crazy schemes!

My general rule: "If it looks like a rat and smells like a rat, it probably IS a rat!"