Friday, July 23, 2010

Deja Vu!

Deja Vu! Teaching Seminary for the 5th consecutive year (7th year if I count my stint in Boston), I should feel a sense of Deja Vu. Like, oh yeah...haven't I done this before?

Seminary includes 4 years of rotating curriculum and then the cycle repeats. So, I've returned to square 1 and if I were inclined to save things (maybe lesson plans, props, scripture mastery games, helpful things like that) I'd be ahead of the game.

But I'm the professional purger which sadly even includes notes! When I taught Paige's Senior year in 2006-2007, I never dreamt I'd last long enough to repeat anything!

Tossing everything along the way was probably one way to insure that I'd get recycled; it's only when you actually save "stuff" that you truly never need it again. Murphy's Law.

We've had Seminary Instructor Training the last 2 Thursday nights. Technically I should feel less like a novice and more like "hey, I could be teaching this inservice class." But, even though I have a slight sense of deja vu, I still feel like like a beginner of sorts.

Last night Brother Ron Daly, a former San Jose Police Officer, gave a great presentation on how people learn best (including various learning styles). He was great! I took notes and I'm actually thinking I'll hang on to them...just to prove that I've learned a few things along the way (like don't always throw out worthwhile information)!