Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Wise Old Owl...

"The wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard:
Why can't we all be like that bird?"
-Mother Goose Nursery Rhyme

Once upon a time I had a small owl collection. It was short lived, just a couple of years in college. It was part of my Chi Omega allegiance; our sorority mascot was the owl. But once I married Brent he was in his "Save the Whales" phase, so my wise owls were waylaid for our collection of stuffed killer whales and Greenpeace stickers!

Lately I've been noticing more owl tchotkes out and about. Anthrolpologie, for example, has had some cool ones. I like that owls represent wisdom, I'm just not inclined to start up another collection....which is probably a wise decision!

"I assure you that you can pick up more information when you are listening than when you are talking." From The Trumpet of the Swan, by E. B. White