Sunday, July 11, 2010

"Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Life Goes On, Brah!"

"None of us wanted to be the bass player. In our minds he was the fat guy who always played at the back." -Paul McCartney

"Yesterday" Paul McCartney performed at AT&T Park; the first time he has played in San Francisco since the Beatles performed here in 1966. Although he played at the HP Pavilion in San Jose (I think it was 2002) with another amazing show.

It's hard to believe Sir Paul is entertaining us as a 68 year old. A few folks in their 50's could use a dose of his energy! He's a great showman and possibly the most successful musician and composer of all time!

In 7th grade when my guitar teacher taught me Paul McCarney's "Another Day" I thought he was the coolest guitar teacher ever. Man, my family must have gotten tired of hearing me play that song 24/7! "Another Day" only has a few chords so it was perfect for a beginner (a stage I never quite graduated from).

Paul McCartney's hit song "Yesterday" is one of the most popular songs of all time. There are more than 3000 known versions recorded of the song. It's said that while he was looking for the right lyrics to accompany the music he used the line "Scrambled Eggs" but by the final version he had come up with "Yesterday" as the tag line. Whew! Scrambled Eggs doesn't have quite the same ring to it!

One of my favorite things about Macca, as John Lennon used to call McCartney, was his long and happy marriage to Linda. They were married for 29 years when she died of breast cancer in 1998. Like his own children, I wasn't a big fan of his later marriage to Heather Mills. There's a good lesson we should probably listen to our kids!

The 2010 Up and Coming Concert last night was one of our family favorite concerts ever! It cemented in my mind why I was always, without a doubt, a Paul girl!

"When I find myself in times of trouble, mother Mary comes to me. Speaking words of wisdom, let it be!"