Saturday, July 17, 2010

Second star to the right & straight on 'til morning!

Second star to the right & straight on 'til morning are Peter Pan's directions to Neverland. Last night, Neverland, was at the Threesixty Theatre @ Ferry Park on the Embarcadero in San Francisco.

The premiere here is the show's 1st stop in the states after a successful run in London. The production was good, not stellar, but the most impressive part were some of the special effects. The roof of the tent becomes a full screen and visually the show is clever and imaginative.

I've always enjoyed the Peter Pan story, a big win for the odd J.M. Barrie. Barrie and Oscar Wilde are both cited for the quote:
"I'm not young enough to know everything" and it's easy to imagine either one of them using the line. Regardless of who said it first, the older I get the more I concur. It reminds me of the Socrate's "the more I learn, the less I know" philosophy.

Before the show we had dinner at The Slanted Door. I've wanted to try this Vietnamese restaurant since it opened over 10 years ago. Great food, great company (a double date with John and Vicki Hodgman) and a good (sorry, didn't quite make the "great" grade) show! Ah, but for lovely evenings out and date nights, one must "grow up" to experience such pleasures! So, Peter Pan just might want to reconsider his situation!

"If you have it (love), you don't need to have anything else, and if you don't have it, it doesn't matter much what else you have." -J.M. Barrie