Friday, July 9, 2010

Speed Kills!

Because running fast is more fun than running slow. -Frank Shorter

Frank Shorter is legendary in the running world and I respect the guy tremendously but this quote does seem a little bit obvious!

Of course it's more fun to run fast! Duh! It pretty much stinks to run slow! But, the sluggers in the back of the pack are still out running. I should know! So, kudos for effort!

It's pretty humbling to start Track Workouts when you are in your 50's and your fellow runners seem to be half your age! We've been meeting a group of runners on Thursday mornings at 6 am at the Los Gatos High School track. So far, Paige has been the youngest runner and I've been the oldest. Similarly, Paige is one of the fastest and I am one of the slowest. Andie came last week and she was much closer to Paige than to me (lucky for her!).

Doing speed work around a track is completely different than distance running. I have never been a sprinter. But, I know the interval repeats should help my distance running, which has been in a slump, so I'm going to keep going even if it is a little humiliating!

Everyone at the track is kindhearted and encouraging while they wait for me to wrap up my final lap so we can commence the workout! I don't mind being the slow runner as much as I mind holding the others up. Sometimes Tim (the workout coach) forms a "B Group" which mitigates the wait for the speed demons. "A Group" or "B Group," either way, I still bring up the rear.

"It is true that speed kills. In distance running, it kills anyone who does not have it. " -Brooks Johnson