Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Tanya's Sweet Chex Mix!

Tanya Schillage's Chex Mix! Only the Best Thing Ever!

Kristen Schillage's mother, Dorothy Goesch, is a legend in the Los Gatos Ward for her many years as the Young Women's Girls Camp Director but more importantly for her famous homemade fudge. Dorothy would make ginormous batches giving foil wrapped rolls to every Relief Society sister for any number of reasons.

Kristen has been a good daughter and a good woman to continue the tradition. I imagine Kristen stuck in the kitchen stirring for days but the fudge is always a big hit with any (and there are many) chocolate obsessed women. I'm impressed with the dedication and generosity but the fudge isn't a big draw for my taste buds.

However, the Schillage family is also known for their Sweet Chex Mix which I love dearly and can polish off an entire batch, all by myself, in one sitting! This is not your mother's Chex Party Mix! This recipe, made by Kristen and/or daughter, Tanya, has similar cereals to the age old Chex mix (Rice Chex, Crispix, Kix, & Golden Grahams) but the similarities end there. No soy sauce, no worcester sauce; this recipe has butter and light Karo syrup. It's got to be sky high in caloric content but it is delish! I've been known to dream about unlimited bowls of Sweet Chex Mix!

In a random coincidence we happened upon the Schillage famous mix online when googling ingredients. If you google "Tanya's Sweet Chex Mix" you'll get the Schillage's exact recipe which happened to be submitted by another church friend, Charlene Washington (aka Chef #254455). Charlene even pens a nice tribute to Tanya on the food site. Oh, the small world of the internet! At times, anyway!

Last night when Tanya was over she whipped up a batch! We'll try to make it last but realistically this is not likely! Also, if I ever turn down Tanya's Sweet Chex Mix, it is a sure sign that I am not in my right mind. It is one of my favorite taste treats on the planet! I like it as much as I like Mochi (which says a lot)!