Friday, January 6, 2012

2012 Theme...

In addition to resolutions for the new year, I’ve decided to try adding an annual theme for 2012.

Mostly it’s my attempt to have an overarching idea that encompasses all of my goals. Or, basically an attribute to focus on while I’m (hopefully) achieving those goals.

In theory my theme for the year should become almost second nature by next December. But this is my first time to add this approach as part of the new years resolutions, so we’ll see how it goes.

So, for 2012 my theme is going to be mindfulness!

I’m hopeful it will come into play in every aspect: emotional, mental, spiritual, temporal, and physical.

The idea is mostly this:
to pay attention,
to notice,
to quit getting stuck looking ahead,
to enjoy the moment,
the journey,
the time at hand.

I’ve never been one to pine over the past, I’m reasonably good at moving on. But, I do get a step ahead of myself. Often. I can get so caught up in being productive that I miss the present. Not to mention the fact that I’m also impatient.

“Mindfulness is simply being aware of what is happening right now without wishing it were different; enjoying the pleasant without holding on when it changes (which it will); being with the unpleasant without fearing it will always be this way (which it won’t).” - James Baraz