Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Authenticity....

"I'm a perfectly good carrot that everyone is trying to turn into a rose. As a carrot, I have good color and a nice leafy top. When I'm carved into a rose, I turn brown and wither." -Mary Pipher

Webb was surprised to find Mary Pipher on one of my gratitude lists that we each made for Brent for Christmas (our gift to him that he turned into booklet gift back to us - kind of creative).

Anyway, I’m a huge Mary Pipher fan, she’s my mentor (unbeknownst to her) in the therapy world. I’ve read all of her books and her philosophies generally align with how I’d treat patients.

The quote above is quite true. I always feel best when I can just be myself and nobody is trying to change me. And, like Pipher, I’d probably fall into the carrot over the rose category too.