Saturday, January 14, 2012

So many books, so little time...

The required reading for my classes this quarter is a whopping 14 textbooks! And that doesn’t even include any of the recommended reading.

I like to read but some of these textbooks are incredibly difficult to slog through and even harder to understand. Yesterday I spent the entire day reading and I didn’t come close to what is due for my classes next Monday/Tuesday.

I thought I was a fairly fast reader but come to find out, that is apparently when I’m reading novels or books of my choice. I was much slower yesterday struggling to understand terminology or grasp new concepts. Reading will now be my go-to in every spare waking minute for the next few months. And, unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll have much extra time for pleasure reading during this quarter.

Some days I wonder “what was I thinking?” about returning to school. The work definitely feels harder in your 50’s than in your 20’s. At least from my vantage point, that is.