Sunday, January 22, 2012

Stick to the Plan!

“To know what has to be done, then do it, comprises the whole philosophy of practical life.” - Sir William Ostler

Andie and I had an enlightening conversation recently with some friends who shared some details about their daughter’s tragic divorce. Their former son-in-law had been a bit of a chameleon.

Most ironically, during the time he was not faithful in his marriage he also headed up their extended family motto “stick to the plan.” Clearly a disconnect there somewhere! :)

I like the “Stick to the Plan” approach so I hope this man’s infidelities won’t ruin the wise saying for me. Being resolute and disciplined about accomplishing things we set out to do is really important.

Having a plan is not usually the problem for me. I generally start every day with a schedule and a decent game plan for the course of the day. For me the problem is distraction. I can start a zillion projects and not finish a single one. I get side-tracked. So, focusing on my plan and adhering to it is a really good philosophy for me to work from.

“Energy and persistence conquer all things.” -Benjamin Franklin