Saturday, January 28, 2012

Areas of Expertise...

I’ve got my first Stats test on Tuesday. It could be a disaster but I am so grateful for fellow students! I’m in a study group that met yesterday and my cohorts were so gracious. They basically gave me free tutoring!

Also, in our class last Tuesday, someone was complaining about the credibility of some research and our professor threw out the “lies, damned lies, and statistics” quote and asked if anyone knew who coined that phrase.

Ah, my first chance to answer a question in class with confidence (finally!), so I belted out “Mark Twain” to which one of the guys retorted “of course our English major would know that!”

Quite frankly, it was awesome! I might look like an idiot in the stats arena but if we can talk literature, well, then I can hold my own. Plus, it looks like I’m becoming known around the program as “the English major” which might be a compliment or a diss depending on the context.

I guess it just goes to show you that we all have our areas of expertise! And, stats, while I’d love to breeze through my first test, is clearly not mine!