Sunday, April 18, 2010

Beware the Eavesdropper!

"Thisbe" -painting by John William Waterhouse, 1909, also known as "The Listener"

Andie and I were picking up fajitas for dinner at Unamas Mexican Grill since Brent (who loves Andales but hates Unamas) was on the East Coast.

My cell phone rang so I stepped outside. While Andie waited I proceeded to catch up with Brent and make plans for the weekend. I noticed two men eating at an outside table so I paced back and forth in the other direction so I wouldn't disturb them.

Following the call I joined Andie inside, we picked up our order and headed out the door. One of the men from the outside table looked right at me and asked: "Do you know how many nights the play is running?"

It was the strangest feeling! Initially I thought he must be asking his fellow dining partner. But I realized his question was directed to me! And waiting for my response!

And then it dawned on me: my phone conversation minutes earlier covered our Saturday night plans to attend a play at a neighboring high school.

Thus, the startling revelation that this man had been listening to my end of my phone call to my husband. Yet he didn't seem the least bit uncomfortable about his shameless eavesdropping! He had the audacity to solicit additional information!

The whole scenario kind of blew me away. Not because I've never eavedropped. Who can resist that impulse to listen in on random strangers in random places like airports?

No, I was flabbergasted that he would so casually inquire about something that completely illuminated the fact that he'd been listening in on a conversation that he was not meant to be a party to!

After I stammered a bit about my best guess as to the play's duration we jumped in the car and laughed about his brazen attitude the whole way home! But, it did get me thinking. Beware of what you say in those wander-about-while-talking-on-your-cell-phone-calls! You never know who might be listening in!