Monday, April 19, 2010

The Key to Remembering...

I forget all sort of things and with aging it will probably get worse! Lots of it is inconsequential (who needs information overload anyway) or harmless (so what if we rent a movie that we forgot we'd already watched).

But one thing I hope I never lose is spiritual memory. It's frightening to know we can have great spiritual insight but then get distracted by the world and slowly the light does leave. It's one of the tragic, recurring themes of The Book of Mormon.

I love the way Christ gave us the solution when his disciples worried about the future when the Savior wouldn't be with them. Christ introduced the Sacrament, an opportunity to remember him!

I'm grateful to have an ordinance performed weekly that gives me a chance to mentally focus on the Savior. Besides feeling thankful for his atoning sacrifice I can use the time during the sacrament to think about his teachings, his example, and his how I can better come to know the Savior personally.

I love that both Sacrament prayers (over the body and the blood) confirm the words that the Savior promises the Nephites that: "....if ye do always remember me ye shall have my Spirit to be with you." (3rd Nephi 18: 11). I love that promise and I love the opportunity hear it every Sunday!