Thursday, April 1, 2010

An Endandgered Species?

"April is the cruellest month!" -T.S. Eliot, The Waste Land

Pinata Apples! At Risk of Extinction!

There is a painful history with foods I get excited about! First of all, I've never been one to go ga-ga over chocolate. But, when I do take a liking to a particular food; I've found it's days are numbered!

It all started as a teenager with Tater Dogs at the A&W stand in Sugarhouse! Tater Dogs were like corn dogs but the outside was mashed potato deep-fried around the hot dog. My description doesn't do them justice because they were delish!

Imagine my disappointment when suddenly A&W quit making Tater Dogs! What? Was I not buying enough single handedly to keep the Tater Dog alive?

After the Tater Dog demise there have been a host of products I get hooked on only to have them disappear! For example, Haagen Dazs ice cream introduced a Carob flavor in the early 1980's but after a couple of years they discontinued it! I still crave it!

Similar story with the Promax Lemon protein bars. Here one day, gone the next! It was so disappointing; they were the only protein bar I liked! Eventually Promax reintroduced another lemon bar but the recipe had changed! And not for the better!

Baltimore Bagels in LaJolla had the world's best Cranberry Bagel! But when Einsteins bought Baltimore Bagel the cranberry bagel changed too! I have never found another bagel as good!

The Tandoori Indian restaurant in Los Gatos made a great appetizer called Papri Chaat. Sure enough, it's been swiped from the menu too!

My fell-in-love-with-but-can-no-longer-purchase food list is long! I can't win!

So, when we discovered a new hybrid apple called "pinata apples" at Trader Joes last month, I should have realized they would be jinxed! I've been to 3 Trader Joes and numerous grocery stores and can't find any pinata apples! It's like a K2 Food Curse!

I realize today is April 1st and I wish I could tell you that this is an April Fool Joke! Sadly, no! But all this food nostalgia is making me hungry! And worst of all, for foods that no longer exist! Guess the joke's on me!