Friday, April 16, 2010

Word Clouds!

I've finally watched all the 2010 April General Conference talks! An amazing session!

Seminary teachers get sent a lot of fun emails with General Conference Jeopardy games, the Apostle song, GC trivia, etc. We also got this Word Cloud (see picture).

Word Clouds (sometimes they are called Wordles) take words from any text and show them using the size to reflect the frequency of the word used (except words like it, the, and and).

So, from the 2010 General Conference you can see how often our church leaders spoke about "children" and "Christ" and "Love" et.al.! It's a cool way to see trends and important themes!

There is a website (www.wordle.net) that you can create your own free word clouds. You can tweak the word clouds with different fonts, colors and layouts. I'm too lazy to type in all the conference talks but I'd probably do a more funky word cloud than this one I was sent.

I could do some fun things in Seminary with Word Clouds like type in the Scripture Mastery verses and make a Word Cloud! Or, all the words the Savior said.

I saw some Wordles on the website of the book of Isaiah where "Lord" is the prominent feature. Someone else made a Wordle of the TV series Lost.

It looks like creating a few Word Clouds could keep me out of trouble for a day or two! Imagine the possibilities!