Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Prayer Epiphanies...

"When sore trials came upon you,
Did you think to pray?" -3rd verse, Hymn: "Did You Think To Pray?"

I shared a story in Seminary I found on a cool blog Andie told me about. The story touched me and I wanted to impress the youth that their parents pray for them. Unceasingly!

The writer told about one of those no good very bad high school days when she felt so frustrated with life that she called her Mom, announced she was done, and could her mom please come and pick her up!

She anticipated the Mother/Cheerleader "You Can Do It" "Hang In There" Speech and was surprised by her Mom's request that she call back in 10 minutes. In the return phone call her Mom put her to the task of finding out the average shoe size for the guys and the girls at school.

That remedy/distraction worked like a charm, the writer survived that dreary day and plenty of others (lived to tell the tale as they say!) but greater understanding came years later. Relating the account in the presence of her mother she attributed her mom's great insight to, basically, being a good mom!

But, actually, the daughter learned from her mom that the"call me back in 10 minutes" request was not simply to finish a cooking or cleaning project. Nope, the Mom needed inspiration! She was praying for her daughter!

I shared the story because I'm certain that every one of my Seminary kids has a mom who prays for them! But, I got a little emotional (yep, even the stoic have those moments!) in my story delivery as I realized an important lesson for me personally (forging into my soul right as I'm attempting to teach - yeah, it happens).

I was dumbstruck by the reality that my own "mom reflex" is so conditioned to the "pep talk" that I wouldn't have requested the call back, I would have instinctively given rally platitudes. It's what moms do!

And, so, I was reminded of how much we can learn from each other! How wise this woman was to seek a higher source of inspiration rather then just reach for her own arsenal of soothing words to placate her daughter.

Simply because the daughter remembers the creative advice today (versus all the times mothers give the "expected" lectures) tells me that following a prompting to stop and pray for guidance gave this mom personal revelation unique for her daughter's plight! Free advice, available anytime, from the best source possible! Hmm...the "pray always" (er, as needed) scriptural plea does make a little more sense than just a solely morning/evening model!

Thank goodness the Seminary class is patient with me when I get a little emotional in the early morning hours! Yesterday was one of those days! The unabridged story (and plenty of other great insights to life) can be found at theapronstage.com.

"Be thankful that God's answers are wiser than your answers." -William Culbertson