Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Reluctant Presenter...

I prefer to sit in a class rather than lead one, but I was asked to give a little presentation on the Holy Land at the Saratoga Ward Relief Society Enrichment on Tuesday night.

The preparation was the fun part for me; if only I could enlist an extrovert for the delivery! I did enjoy reminiscing on our trip to Israel; especially reflecting whether the adventure has changed me in any way.

If only thoughts, feelings, and awakenings on vacations could linger more permanently in our psyche! How quickly we return to our daily routines!

But, like my original trip to Israel 30 plus years ago, I'm much more excited about the scriptures. The places have added context; the scenes are easy to visualize!

And, I'm more appreciative of the blessing of having temples. I've thought a lot about the reverence the Jewish people have for the Western Wall of the Temple Mount since that is the closest they can get to where their temple once was!

I take for granted how fortunate we are to have sacred things in our lives! Without the sacred and holy, life wouldn't have nearly as much meaning and purpose!

I probably fumbled through my presentation but I was glad to have an opportunity to take me back to the Holy Land again, even if this time it was just via a slideshow!

"I wish there could have been an invention that bottled up a memory, like perfume,
and it never faded, never got stale. Then whenever I wanted to I could uncork the bottle and live the memory all over again." -Daphne du Maurier, Rebecca