Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Poland's epic tragedy...

The terrible plane crash on Saturday that killed Poland's President, Lech Kaczynski, and dozens of other officials and politicians was a horrific tragedy!

I'm not well versed in the Polish government but from everything I had read about President Kaczynski, he was a man I admired. He seemed to have great personal integrity (always a quality worthy of respect in my book)!

Following the plane crash I saw an article in The Economist that completely endeared me to this man. The journalist described President Lech Kaczynski as a man who "was modest and charming in private, although visibly ill-at-ease on big public occasions and prone to gaffes and unnecessary controversies."

How can you not adore a person who is "ill-at-ease on big public occasions and prone to gaffes"? It makes Kaczynski sound....so,....well,.....so human! I think I'll always feel more akin to people who are ill-at-ease in public and prone to gaffes! Maybe it's because I just can't relate to people who are completely comfortable in a crowd and never stick their foot in their mouth!

Lech Kaczynski, Rest in Peace! Prayers to the country of Poland!