Thursday, April 29, 2010

On Top of Spaghetti...

"On top of spaghetti; all covered with cheese,
I lost my poor meatball when somebody sneezed.

It rolled off the table, and onto the floor,
And then my poor meatball rolled out of the door.

It rolled down the garden, and under a bush,
And then my poor meatball was nothing but mush!

The mush was as tasty, as tasty could be,
And then the next summer it grew into a tree.

The tree was all covered, all covered with moss,
And on it grew meatballs, all covered with sauce.

So if you have spaghetti, all covered with cheese,
Hold onto your meatball, 'cause someone might sneeze."
- ballad sung to the tune of "On Top of Old Smokey"

Last night was the annual Scout Spaghetti Dinner and Cake Auction for the Saratoga Stake! It's a lively & raucous affair! By the time I leave my ears feel like they've been to a loud concert!

Mike Thompson is the King of Feeding the Masses! There is always ample sauce and noodles, green salad and garlic bread galore! The gym is filled with families and it's fun to see friends from the stake.

The Cake Auction is serious business. Half the cakes are sold in a silent auction and half from live (and lively) bidding. I like to sit with Aiden Bryan who loves to bid up the cakes and I can be a ghost buyer! It's a nice arrangement! This year we bought a Red Velvet Cake and shared it with the missionaries, etc.

Woody Allen once said that "80% of success in life is just showing up." This can apply to lots of things, maybe even Scout Auctions! The evening is an event we could probably skip. We don't have anyone in scouting these days. But we go since we know we should support the youth. And, even though it's chaotic at moments, it's also fun!

I always leave feeling more uplifted than if I'd stayed home! And, as a self confessed home body it's good for me to remember that "showing up" at outings, auctions, etc. is generally a good trade off to staying home!